Managing the Epidemic
We are concerned about exposure of Americans to the Ebola epidemic. The necessary and appropriate role of our Federal Government is national security. This includes protection from international epidemics. As a physician, I fully appreciate the importance of isolation and quarantine for public health and to prevent spread of disease.
Recent cases occurring within these United States show that Ebola can spread despite precautions and protocol safety measures designed to protect health care workers and the community. Any Ebola in this country places us at risk. Serious measures are needed to protect our citizens.
I support the following policies :
1. International travel restrictions to prevent Ebola entry into this country.
2. Control of our borders to prevent Ebola entry into this country.
3. Ban importation of cases of active Ebola coming in for treatment.
4. Give charitable and humanitarian aid and treatment to active Ebola cases on hospital ships or an island.
5. Recruit immune survivors of Ebola to care for the current victims.